BCB TEAMS UP WITH HOUSE AT WORK
The Better Contractors Bureau has teamed up with House At Work for our contractor referral program!
House At Work is a website that connects homeowners who need work done with Better Contractor Bureau
accredited professionals. If you need one of the contractors, click below to begin!
BCB Referral Program (Powered by House At Work)
IMMEDIATE MEDIA RELEASE
Better Contractors Bureau to Partner with Home Repair Fraud Prevention
Organization Rochester, NY - August 25, 2015: The Better Contractors
Bureau (BCB) has formed a partnership with The National Center for the
Prevention of Home Improvement Fraud (NCPHIF) to create a national
consumer protection program, which will benefit communities all over the
country. And with home repair fraud and scams at an all-time high, the
timing for these talks is perfect. BCB and NCPHIF are forming a new
program to empower consumers to differentiate between the honest
contractors and the unscrupulous ones. The program will also help cut
down on the frequent miscommunication between homeowners and legitimate
contractors. With this knowledge, consumers, especially seniors can
proactively avoid being victimized by illegal contracts, insurance
fraud, large upfront deposits, shoddy construction, and liens place
against their property. This program will also support victims of
natural disasters, keeping them from becoming victims, twice. "This
partnership will enable homeowners in crisis to be able to check the
reputations of the many fly-by-night contractors who flock to those
disaster areas to take advantage of the situation before they are able
to scam and price gouge the unsuspecting already suffering homeowners"
says Carmen Santora, Executive Director of BCB. Santora has over 40
years of experience in the construction industry and has been a strong
advocate, not only for the homeowner, but legitimate contractors as
well. "I'm a huge fan of the BCB and Carmen and I'm excited about
forming our partnership," says Phae Moore, a home repair fraud
prevention expert, Executive Director of NCPHIF, and author of Don't
Even Think About Ripping Me Off!, an instructional guidebook on how to
find, hire, work with and pay contractors to avoid being a victim of
fraud. "Working side-by-side with BCB, we will make a huge dent in this
multi-billion dollar a year problem. I consider BCB and NCPHIF a match
made in heaven."
About NCPHIF: NCPHIF is a non-profit whose mission is to educate
communities on how to protect themselves from becoming victims of home
victims of home repair fraud and scams. and scams. For more information,
or call 404-902-6100.
REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A DESIGNATED "REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL"
MEMBER OF THE BCB
New Contractor Member Applicants MUST Meet All The BCB Standards Of
Membership Below To Be Given The Prestigious Designation Of "Registered
BCB STANDARDS OF MEMBERSHIP
Members must abide by the above standards of membership or
failure to do so may result in the expulsion from the BCB.
- Member contractor applicants must be either be a Corporation , DBA
- Members must submit proof of liability insurance and workmen's comp
if they have employees.
- Member's contracts must meet all the requirements under Article 36A
of the NYS Business law!
- Member applicants cannot have any unsatisfied complaints registered
with the Attorney General!
- Contractor member applicants must have been in business at least one
full year or have 5 years experiencein their specific trade.
- The company principle cannot have been convicted of any home
- Members using a P.O. Box must provide their actual address to the
- Members using a cell phone as a business number only must provide
their home phone number.
- Members must respond to all customer complaints in writing within 30
- Members must agree to mediate all customer disputes through the
BCB's in house mediation process.
- Members must agree to appear before the Ethics committee regarding
- Members must agree to abide by the BCB Code of Ethics.
- Members must agree to pay all court judgments awarded to customers.
In addition all new member applicants are on a 1-year probationary trial
period during which time they may not use the
BCB logo in any type of permanent advertising such as the yellow Pages.